Thursday, January 19, 2017

Marscon 2017--Five Reasons to Go to Cons

My husband and I went to Marscon last weekend and had a fantastic time. Why go to cons, you ask? What's in it for me?

Here's a list of the 5 funnest things about cons,not in any particular order.

1. Cosplay. Con people take their characters and costumes very seriously, and there are always some fantastic displays. Most Cosplayers make the costumes themselves.
Check out that mask.
Chariot Man

Steampunk Teapot Racer


My husband's the one not in costume, but I still think he's pretty cute.

2. Entertainment. Danny Birt, the Blibbering Humdingers, and Mikey Mason were all there singing geeky songs.

This isn't live at Marscon, but it's one of my favorite Mikey Mason's songs.


And there's one from Danny Birt.



They're even better in concert where you have the energy of the crowd.

3. Other Geeks. You're around others even geekier than you are. It's coming home to your people.

Geeks, including my husband, at the Doctor Who Tea Party.


4. Panels.  I was on several panels. The funnest panel was one I was on with Todd McCaffrey, Mark Wandrey, Kim Headlee, Monica Marier, and Charity Ayers. For this panel, the audience provided a person, a place, and a thing. Todd started a story and then dumped it to the next person on the panel who added to it, and then dumped it to the next. Repeat. I've never done anything quite like this, but it was hilarious. We ended up with a story about a great white shark named Bongo who loves the music of bongo drums and the taste of monkeys. I also did panels on romance in fantasy, the making of a good adventure, and the use of religion in fantasy and science-fiction. In addition, I helped Allen Wold with his writing workshop about getting a story started. Fun times. 

5. Games--role playing games, video games, dice games, card games, table top games, board games. You like to game they have it.

Seriously, if you haven't been to a con, you need to check it out. If you have, what's your favorite con, or your favorite thing to do at a con?






No comments:

Post a Comment