Thursday, April 11, 2013

Guest Interview--Michael Brookes


Welcome Michael Brookes, author of Conversations in the Abyss, as this week's guest. Be sure to come back tomorrow for a sample of his work.

Tell us a little about yourself?
As well as writing I am lucky enough to work as a games producer, which means I spend most of my days doing one or both of the things I enjoy most. I will soon be attempting my local Steakhouse’s 72oz challenge. I may explode!

What made you want to become a writer?
The simple answer is reading. I’ve always loved to read, and over the years I found that reading stories sparked my own stories, and writing is a good way to set those stories free.

What genre do your works fall into?
I tend to put it the horror category, as that is the closest, but a reviewer recently described them as metaphysical thrillers, which sounds much nicer.

What about this genre appeals to you?
I’m interested by what frightens people; I also like to peer under the fabric of the universe, to see what I can find.

Could you tell us a bit about your most recent book and why it is a must-read?
In my most recent book Conversations in the Abyss we discover how the universe came to be and why us mortals are a threat to Heaven and Hell.

What gives you inspiration for your book?
John Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’ is my inspiration for these books. For me it is the greatest story ever told (http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/paradise-lost-greatest-story-ever-told.html). It’s a story that tackles the big questions, but also filled me with my own questions, questions that I’m seeking to answer with my own writing.

Are your characters based off real people or did they all come entirely from your imagination?
I think to a degree you can’t avoid putting some real people in your characters, but I tend to mix and match. So a character is rarely a single person, but built from traits of different people.

Of all the characters you have created, which is your favorite and why?
Friar Francis is my favorite character so far. He’s smart, sophisticated and not afraid to get his hands dirty.

What is the biggest surprise that you experienced after becoming a writer?
I think the fact that people like what I write is amazing and certainly surprised me. It still does.

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you either growing up or as an adult?
I’ve already mentioned John Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’. For more contemporary works I’m a big Clive Barker fan, and Ian M Banks is my favorite modern author.

Do you have a day job in addition to being a writer?  If so, what do you do during the day? 
Not yet, but I work as a game producer which is also pretty cool. I love writing, and I love playing games.

What is your favorite writing tip or quote?
Finish what you start. Once you finished one work, you can go onto the next, but make sure you finish something.

Tell us a little about your plans for the future.  Do you have any other books in the works?
I have a new book coming out soon, I haven’t finalized the title yet, but it’s all about an Internet chat-bot that starts granting wishes. Of course, there is a price to be paid…

Where can we find you online? 
Blog 

About Michael Brookes

Michael Brookes is an Executive Producer with a leading UK games developer. Working in games and writing are two of his life passions and considers himself fortunate to be able to indulge them both. He lives in the east of England, enjoying starry skies in the flattest part of the country. When not working or writing, he can sometimes be found sleeping. Which is good as that is where many good ideas come from.


2 comments:

  1. Must be cool to be a game producer. I bet you're good with the fright scenes and keeping the action rolling.

    I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!

    ReplyDelete