Thursday, May 16, 2013

Michele M. Reynolds, Guest Author


Today, welcome Michele M. Reynolds, author of Trail Swap. Tomorrow come back for a sample of her work.

Tell us a little about yourself?

I grew-up in NJ but have lived in PA, NC, FL, and now Massachusetts. Right after undergrad I started doing work with kids and never looked back. I live at home with my family of 10 (don't panic this includes a dog and 4 cats.)

What made you want to become a writer?

I love reading about different worlds, characters, and adventures. I love even more being the creator of things like that. I love that ideas just pour out of me onto the computer screen that I was not expecting. I write some dialogue or scene and think, "Where did that come from?" Those are wonderful moments.

What genre do your works fall into?

Today I wrote a list. Right under Buy Mangos I wrote figure out what genre you fall into. I am not joking you. My best bet right now is GENERAL FICTION.

What about this genre appeals to you?

I like fiction because it has such creative freedom. I, however, one day might write a nonfiction book.

Could you tell us a bit about your most recent book and why it is a must-read?

Number one reason: Every time I re-read the book I was entertained and laughing at parts. I found myself pretty clever and hilarious.

Trail Swap is about an amusing woman who tries to find new direction in life while hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) and battles her fears of life's broken hearts. It has outdoors action, some romance, a lot of humor, family issues, and a boatload of fun characters.
*I also have Off-Trail & Tunnel W for FREE on Smashwords.

What gives you inspiration for your book?

Trail Swap is two stories in one, so there are different inspirations. One is my love of hiking the AT and the love for the trail culture. The second inspiration was my time living in North Carolina. I lived in a small town in western North Carolina where the southern hospitality was wonderful.

Are your characters based off real people or did they all come entirely from your imagination?

Little pieces of the characters are based on real people. The most notable was Tucker a 10 year old going on 20. He is based on my nephew Aaron and named after one of my mentors. The rest of the people are just random people who pass me in a supermarket or are completely made-up.

Of all the characters you have created, which is your favorite and why?

I have been asked that before. I have to say at this point, Tucker. He is very witty and such an old man. I love the relationship him and Farryn create. It reminds me of my nephew and my relationship when he was growing up.

What is the biggest surprise that you experienced after becoming a writer?

That strangers would read my book and write a critique that said "I could not put it down." The negative was that there were people whom I was close to would not read the book. If one of my friends wrote a book, I would read it. I will still keep them on the friends list though.

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you either growing up or as an adult?

Recently, I really like the Book Thief. I love Kurt Vonnegut, Tom Robbins, Barbara Kingslove, and Margaret Atwood. I hope to be half the writer as they are. I love Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut. How the character writes the book on scraps pieces of papers. That is classic. Together each of them have qualities of writing fearlessly, humorously, and entertaining.

Do you have a day job in addition to being a writer?  If so, what do you do during the day? 

I am a supervisor in an outreach clinical team. I supervise therapists' clinical decisions and assign families to teams of outreach workers. I love the organization I work for, and I love our team. My favorite part is helping them learn and grow.

What is your favorite writing tip or quote?

This is a GREAT question. I know this seems simplistic, but "Show Don't Tell." That is basic advice, but some seasoned authors still TELL INSTEAD of showing.

Tell us a little about your plans for the future.  Do you have any other books in the works?

Boy do I! If I could quit my day job (that I love) and just write, I would. I am currently getting Trail Swap ready for print. I, also, have a long list of  book ideas.
I writing a book about the Everglades wilderness camp in the 2040's. There is a tough woman with some moxie that enters this corrupt, invalidating world and bites off a little more than she can chew. I used to be a wilderness counselor in Florida so I am drawing on that personal experience. I am hoping to have it ready to be out August 2013.

Where can we find you online? 


Twitter: @MReynolds42

Smashwords Off-Trail   & Tunnel W   FREE  


1 comment:

  1. С целью исполнения дорогостоящих заказов нужно работать с дешевыми заказами ссылка на гидру 2021 длительный период. К примеру, клиенту потребуется выдвинуть сообщество или фото в соц.сети, и выбираются пользователи, что должны логиниться и писать грамотные сообщения. Конечно, цена за простые задания минимальная, но и каких-либо умений эта работа не потребует.

    ReplyDelete